So here are our Top 10 Tips for Preventing Scarring during the tattoo removal process ...
1. See a specialist who uses a laser that's designed to remove tattoos and is experienced in dealing with ink.
2. Make sure you're well hydrated before and after your session.
3. Don't smoke (we know, we know - everyone’s telling you to quit smoking these days, but it really does make a difference to your ability to heal properly and clear the ink between sessions!)
4. Follow ALL after-care instructions and ask your specialist if you have any questions during the healing process.
5. Rest after the treatment - you need to give your body's natural healing process a chance to kick in, and you need to make it easy for it to heal.
6. Don't scratch or pick at scabs or blisters that may form - they're just your skin's way of healing itself and will resolve if you leave them alone.
7. Pat the skin dry after cleansing rather than rubbing it dry - rubbing caused damage to newly lasered skin and damage = scars.
8. Keep the skin well moisturised between sessions - dry skin is inclined to crack or scab.
9. Stay out of the sun for at least 1 week, and preferably 2, following the treatment and use 50+ sunblock whenever you're in the sun after that - the area will be super-sensitive until it heals and will be at increased risk of burning.
10. Wait at least 6-8 weeks between sessions; even if the skin looks completely healed after a couple of weeks, you can only see what's happening on the surface not all of the cellular healing that’s still occurring underneath.
There’s no denying that the thought of scarring is scary, but with the right treatment and aftercare your skin should be in perfect condition after your tattoo removal. If you have any questions about fading, modifying or even completely removing any of your existing tattoos, give us a call on 8065 1041 - we're here to help :)